Dailyfx news indicator for Aug 27,10 Trading Station release

Here you can post and download custom indicators. PLEASE: Do not start topics unless you are posting your own indicator, they will be moved to appropriate section even if you do.

Moderator: admin

Re: Dailyfx news indicator for Aug 27,10 Trading Station rel

Postby all_in » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:10 am

mjf1288 wrote:Could someone please implement this with the current algorithm:

if the news comes out better than expected, then red
if the news comes out worse than expected, then green

There are fundamental flaws with the current implementation. The smart money does not buy on good news, they buy on bad news and vice versa.

Not necessarily, this news related price action was on bad news, which was an excuse to mark the price up, to gather the stops/short positions, who will need to buy in order to cover and the SM will gladly sell, increasing supply to the downside.
Attachments
news bar.png
all_in

Postby moomoofx » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 pm

Hi everyone,

I have updated the indicator to meet some requested functionality on this current thread and another thread (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=36197).

Specifically, a bunch of you requested that if the number is less than the forecast, it should be negative. Amusingly, some of you even requested the exact opposite, i.e. if the actual number is greater than the forecast, it is negative. Even though I disagree with all of you, there is now a new parameter called Meaning of Negative where you can toggle if the previous behavior applies or the new behavior.

I have also changed the text for each news event to show the previous value in the event of the forecast value not being available.

Additionally, someone requested that you be able to choose which currency news are shown. This is now implemented via the Instruments and Instruments List parameters. Instruments is a selection box which allows you to choose to show news related to All Instruments, the Current Instrument, or the instruments specified in the List. Set Instruments to List and fill in the Instruments List parameter with a comma separated list of currencies, for example, EUR,USD,JPY and you should be fine.

Please download the updated version from the first post in this thread.

Update
Apologies I updated the code again about 90 minutes later as it had several bugs due to the data format constantly changing so please redownload if you did.

Sometimes units were provided, sometimes currency pair symbols were provided. It is pretty robust now but even still there are times where the values cannot be parsed elegantly because they have been entered wrong. Sorry, not my fault, blame DailyFX. However, if that does happen you'll see them appear in the Event Log window like in the attached screenshot.
parse.png

Cheers,
MooMooForex
moomoofx
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby moomoofx » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:49 am

As requested, I have created a strategy that trades the news. This indicator is not required for the strategy to work.

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=61584

Cheers,
MooMooForex
moomoofx

Postby Paul W » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Is anyone having trouble with the Dailyfxnews indicator not posting calendar events on the charts ? Mine was working fine last week, not now. thanks
Paul W
FXCodeBase: Initiate

Postby Apprentice » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:30 am

news.png

As u can see. My test did not detect any problems.
Can you provide parameter section screenshot.
Apprentice

Postby Paul W » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:40 am

this is puzzling.

If you are able to get results, then clearly it is local to my machine - one would think.

The indicator was working fine last week, and I haven't changed any settings - of consequence.

I will have to investigate further. thx

I assume the indicator is polling data from .dailyfx.com/calendar ?
Attachments
News Indicator.pdf
(165.76 KiB) Downloaded 1697 times
Paul W

Postby sthue100 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:54 am

Mine quit on the 18th. Shows all news up until that date.
Attachments
Newslua.png
sthue100

Postby Paul W » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Jan 18th looks like the last posted Calender event date

Could the problem be with the data source ?
Attachments
Jan 18 DAILY NEWS.png
Paul W

Postby sthue100 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Figuring this out. I guess this comes out weekly. If you look at http://www.dailyfx.com/files/Calendar-01-11-2015.csv it has 149 news events for the week.
Looking at http://www.dailyfx.com/files/Calendar-01-18-2015.csv the file only shows 3 news events all on the 18th. So it was only filled out for Sunday. Oversight by FXCM?
Last edited by sthue100 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sthue100

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Indicators