Volume Indicator

Here you can post and download custom indicators. PLEASE: Do not start topics unless you are posting your own indicator, they will be moved to appropriate section even if you do.

Moderator: admin

Volume Indicator

Postby robocod » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:39 am

I posted here about issues with the FXCM tick volume data. The following indicator is the one discussed in the post. It allows a lower time-frame source to be specified (e.g. 1min) which is used to reconstruct the volume data for the higher time-frame bar. To avoid long delays in loading the chart, the initial number of bars generated this way can be set (0 means the whole chart).

In general, the errors and anomalies in FXCM tick data seem to apply to the current trading week, and after the Friday close FXCM seems to "clean" the data. By using this indicator to reconstruct the volume, many of these anomalies seem to be fixed. However, the current trading day seems to have slightly higher than normal tick volume values - but I didn't find a way to overcome this. Just bare in mind that the current day's values will probably get reduced after the close.

The indicator shows the average (Simple Moving Average) of the volume, and it can also show 2 bands. The bands can be set according to the "standard deviation", or the "average". The indicator allows a multiplier to be specified for each band. The default multiplier is 2 (typical when using standard deviation mode). If you are using the "average" mode, then I suggest setting the lower band at 0.8, and the upper band at 1.4.

Here's a screenshot.

volume6.png

Here's the code.

volume.lua
(16.83 KiB) Downloaded 1139 times

I've also updated the BetterVolume Indicator to use this "volume reconstruction" method.

The indicator was revised and updated
robocod
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Re: Volume Indicator

Postby geblu09 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:23 pm

great job !!!
geblu09

Return to Custom Indicators