T3 Indicator - Better Moving Average

Here you can post and download custom indicators. PLEASE: Do not start topics unless you are posting your own indicator, they will be moved to appropriate section even if you do.

Moderator: admin

T3 Indicator - Better Moving Average

Postby STS Trading » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:10 am

Testing a new strategy I found in a German trading journal necessarily a T3 indicator was needed. The T3 indicator was developed by Tim Tillson in 1998 and published in the S&C Magazine under the topic "Smoothin Techniques For More Accurate Signals". The article is also known as the "Better Moving Average".

The input parameters are the number of periods n and a velocity value v. To calculate the T3 line first a generalized double EMA is to be calculated as shown below:
Code: Select all
GD(n,v) = EMA(n) * (1 + v) - EMA(EMA(n)) * v

Finally you get the T3 value by this formula:
T3(n) = GD(GD(GD(n)))

The implementation quiet differs slightly from the formula above:
EMA[1] = EMA(Source, n) and EMA[i] = EMA(EMA, i - 1)
T3 = -v^3 * EMA[6] + (3 * v^2 + 3 * v^3) * EMA[5] + (-6 * v^2 - 3 * v - 3 * v^3) * EMA[4] + (1 + 3 * v + v^3 + 3 * v^2) * EMA[3]

The T3 indicator can be downloaded here:
T3.lua
(3.2 KiB) Downloaded 1049 times

Chris
STS Trading

Re: T3 Indicator - Better Moving Average

Postby STS Trading » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:29 am

Oops. If the search query has to be at least 3 characters, it doesn't makes it easier to find the T3 indicator in the future. ;)

Anyway. Thanks for the hint. I attached an improved version of my own implementation. The calculation of the first period was faulty:
TFirst = First + 6 * math.floor(1.5 * N);

Chris
STS Trading

Re: T3 Indicator - Better Moving Average

Postby Apprentice » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:38 am

The indicator was revised and updated.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Return to Custom Indicators