A "starters kit" of Strategies: Looking for ideas.

Section for discussions related to indicators, use of indicators, and building of trading stategies using indicators.

Moderator: admin

A "starters kit" of Strategies: Looking for ideas.

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:36 am

Hello, dear community members!

As some of you know, we're about to release new Trading Station version which finally supports strategies. In the default installation there will be only Moving Average Cross Signal/Strategy added solely to the "demonstrative" purposes.

All I want right now is to prepare a set of strategies which can be downloaded at this site at the moment when new Trading Station releases come to the production. So, I need ideas which strategies must be implemented first. It can be not only the "whole" stategies, but simpler things such as, for example, "Delete entry order in case it is not executed before the specified time". I just don't want let our limited resources creep to do "everything", but I would like to have a good set of really required tools as soon as possible.

So, please do not hesitate to write all your ideas and discuss them right here.
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Re: A "starters kit" of Strategies: Looking for ideas.

Postby Apprentice » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:22 am

The first thing that occurs to me, probably the most valuable.

Close all positions when we have negative equity.
Equity fallse below balance.

Close position when the total profit, drops below a certain level, zero as a default value.
Total or for defined currency pair.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby zekelogan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:50 pm

I would imagine the 'staple' indicators, such as RSI and MACD, would be very useful to many people, e.g. RSI crosses the 20 line upward...

Two questions:

When is the release due out? I was under the impression mid-August was the target.

Will backtesting be a feature of the strategy builder?
zekelogan

Postby zekelogan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:50 pm

... and Stochastics... ;)
zekelogan

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:54 pm

zekelogan wrote:When is the release due out? I was under the impression mid-August was the target.

Now it's August, 27. Unfortunately some business-related issues had shifted the release until the end of august. However, you can play with beta version. Today I put another build (See the "betas" forum at the end of the forums list).

zekelogan wrote:Will backtesting be a feature of the strategy builder?

In common - yes.

a) Debugger will simulate execution and tables for all orders. You can see in the current version of the debugger right now.
b) There is four ways to simulate ticks on the base of the chosen history - ticks trough close (1 tick per bar), ticks from high->low->close (3 ticks per bar for this and other methods), low->high->close and, finally, auto choice between hlc and lhc methods depending on the candle direction.

Also, there is a lot of changes in showsignal indicator and new "backtest" indicator.

a) Show signal now also supports all tick simulation methods.
b) Show signal now correctly handles when you scroll the chart back or when new data appears, so you don't need to re-apply signals anymore.
c) Both show signal and backtest also simulates tables and order behavior.
d) backtest also shows equity curve on the base of simulated data.

However, there is also a number of things to be developed in further versions:
a) Now only the instrument we apply the data to is simulated "in tick". If strategy uses another instrument or timeframe - the candles of such histories appears "in full". In further versions we will also provide tick simulation for other instruments or timeframes
b) Parameter optimiziers
c) support of "complex logic" orders such as OCO/OTO.
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Postby zekelogan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Thx Nikolay :)
zekelogan

Return to Discussions