Questions about functionality of strategies

Section for discussions related to indicators, use of indicators, and building of trading stategies using indicators.

Moderator: admin

Questions about functionality of strategies

Postby c.alexander » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:26 pm

Could somebody please answer some questions for me or point me in the right direction.

Is the position size static or can a strategy determine the position size taken?

If a strategy can determine the position size, can a strategy determine the position size it opens as a percentage of the account size? So say 5% of the account rounded down to the nearest integer K.

I want a strategy which can set the stop at the previous candles high/low. It would then move the stop to breakeven if the entry candle closes favourably, or close the position if the entry candle closes unfavourably. Is this actually possible?

Is it possible to close half of an open position at one limit and half at another, or would this require two strategies running simultaneously with different limits?

Last question, do strategies run local to marketscope? So, when you logout the strategy ceases to work, or does it continue to run when one logs out?

Anyway, those are all my questions. I would appreciate if someone could answer some of them and I apologise if they have been asked and answered before; I had a search through the forum but it was largely fruitless.
c.alexander

Re: Questions about functionality of strategies

Postby Valeria » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:30 am

Hi Alexander,

Is the position size static or can a strategy determine the position size taken?
If a strategy can determine the position size, can a strategy determine the position size it opens as a percentage of the account size? So say 5% of the account rounded down to the nearest integer K.

Yes, it can be implemented.

I want a strategy which can set the stop at the previous candles high/low. It would then move the stop to breakeven if the entry candle closes favourably, or close the position if the entry candle closes unfavourably. Is this actually possible?

Yes, it is possible.

Is it possible to close half of an open position at one limit and half at another, or would this require two strategies running simultaneously with different limits?

A strategy can partly close a position, but not by limit. And the difference is that a limit is executed on server side and a strategy on the client side.

Last question, do strategies run local to marketscope? So, when you logout the strategy ceases to work, or does it continue to run when one logs out?

Strategies work on client side. If there is a problem with the internet connection, a strategy does not work. But you can use Virtual Private Server to avoid this issues. Please read more about Virtual Private Server here here.
Valeria

Re: Questions about functionality of strategies

Postby c.alexander » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:20 am

Thanks a lot for your reply.
c.alexander

Return to Discussions