Problem with US Demo Account

All posts which do not fit into any other sections of the forum.

Moderator: admin

Problem with US Demo Account

Postby robocod » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:26 am

I'm having a problem with handling stop/limit and partial closing of a trade on a US account (i.e. FIFO account).

Now, I've been trying to code this in a strategy, and I'm pretty sure I had this working some months ago. But currently it is not working. So, I tried to manually reproduce what my code is trying to do.

The steps are as follows ... (remember this is all manually entered using MarketScope or TradingStation, not even talking about code yet):
1) open a trade at market, (e.g. long 10 lots), specifying stop & limit when the position is created (e.g. -5/+5 pips)
2) partially close the trade, e.g. by shorting 5 lots. I should be left with 5 lots long, and the stop and limit intact.
3) Now, wait for the stop or limit to get hit by price.

(Also, should say that I only have 1 position on, and so there is no issue with other trades. It is simply 1 trade entered and then partially closed).

What I expect:
When the stop/limit gets hit, the remainder of the trade closed. If the stop is hit, the limit gets cancelled. If the limit is hit, the stop gets handled. The trade should be closed, i.e. I should be flat.

What I actually see:
The stop/limit "appears" to get hit, and if I look at the "Orders" tab on MarketScope it says filled/cancelled. However, the trade is not closed. The trade remains open and unprotected. The orders seem to stay in the "Orders" tab in their filled/cancelled state for ever (eventually it cleared over the weekend).

On live account, this seems to work as expected!

On back-tester, it also does not work properly (the stop orders seem to vanish as soon as the partial close takes place). I previously raised bug-report about this back-test behaviour.

My understanding is that I should be able to enter an order with ELS stop/limit specified, and then I should be able to partially close the position, and the stop/limit still exist (for smaller amount of course).

I contacted FXCM, but apparently they can't see demo accounts and couldn't explain why it was happening. They did confirm my understanding that this should work.

Is this an issue with how demo account orders are handled? I'm sure this used to work. Has something changed?

I've been banging my head on the wall about this for some days. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
robocod
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Re: Problem with US Demo Account

Postby Georgiy » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:23 am

Hello robocod,

Thank you for the reporting about these issues.
We are aware about the bug in back-tester - it will be fixed in the next TS release.
Currently, we are investigating these issues on live accounts.

I will get back to you as soon as the issue resolved.

Thank you.
Georgiy
FXCodeBase: Initiate

Postby robocod » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:09 am

Any progress on this?

It would be very useful if you can confirm my understanding of how stop&limit with partial profit taking should work on US FIFO account.

Simple scenario:
Go long 10 lots with stop & limit
Partially close 5 lots (e.g. by going short 5 lots) - should be 5 lots long remaining
Stop & limit should still work ?

What I see is the stop&limit exist, and you can move them, etc. but they don't actually work properly when they get triggered! As soon as they get hit they get stuck in executed/cancelled state and the position is not closed.

This affects all US demo FIFO accounts. I'm just surprised that there isn't some huge outcry about this. Maybe people in the US don't do partial profit taking. Seems odd to me.

It works as I expect on US live FIFO account.
robocod

Postby Georgiy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:48 am

Hello robocod,

The server-side team was notified about this issue. We are still waiting the response from them.
Georgiy
FXCodeBase: Initiate

Postby robocod » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 am

*bump*

Any news?

Even confirmation that this is a bug would be useful. I have a client who finds it hard to believe that US demo accounts don't handle partial closing of positions properly.
robocod

Postby Sergey.Konovalov » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:51 am

Hello robocod,

The issue will be fixed in the next FXTS release.
Sergey.Konovalov

Return to General Discussions