How do I back test a signal on MT4?

All posts which do not fit into any other sections of the forum.

Moderator: admin

How do I back test a signal on MT4?

Postby Trickie » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:11 am

Hello Everybody

I'm not sure this is the right place to post my question, but as it's specifically an MT4/MQL4 issue I figured it would be a good place to start.

I have purchased an EA for MT4 which only produces signals which MT4 emails to me. I've been running it for about 9 weeks now on demo and the results of those signals means there is much potential. Trouble is I want to back test it properly but due to the fact it doesn't actually trade, it produces zero results on Strategy Tester. So how can I back test?? Especially when the author publishes updates???

Since the EA only produces signals on the opening of a new candle, I wondered if it would be possible to delete MT4's price history and then rebuild it bit by bit, thus simulating actual price movement within the MT4 charts themselves. In theory this should generate signals just as they would have been generated if I'd been running the EA live at the actual time of the candle.

I have a reasonable basic level of MQL4 and can program to a reasonable level in VB.NET. So if the above were possible then I'm sure I could write something that could automate the process and get through quite a chunk of history fairly quickly. Not as quick as Strategy Tester but quick enough!

I've been searching online for a while now but can't find any method of achieving this. Does anybody know if it's possible? Or if not possible, then is there some other way I could back test the signal??

Many thanks in advance

Trickie
Trickie

Re: How do I back test a signal on MT4?

Postby Trickie » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:30 am

Hi Apprentice

The EA was purchased and it is still for sale. T&Cs state that it must not be given to any third party, and I respect that. Therefore I certainly cannot post it here or even just send it to you alone. I could write to the seller asking for permission but I wouldn't expect it to be granted.

What was your plan of action if you had the EA?

Thanks

Trickie
Trickie

Re: How do I back test a signal on MT4?

Postby Apprentice » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:25 pm

We can only help if you will be able to provide EA code or detailed description.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Return to General Discussions