Marketscope and non-trading hours

All posts which do not fit into any other sections of the forum.

Moderator: admin

Marketscope and non-trading hours

Postby jhouchin » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:12 pm

Hello,

I think it would be nice if TS / Marketscope would allow logging in or unauthenticated opening of the application during non-trading hours. We know we can't trade during these times, or access account information. But it would be nice to be able access backtesting and optimization during these times.

Backtesting and optimization don't require accounts, account information, login or password, in order to be able to function.

Just wanted to offer this suggestion.

Thanks for a great product.

Jimmie
jhouchin
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Re: Marketscope and non-trading hours

Postby sunshine » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:32 am

The Backtest and Optimize commands are available even when you are not logged in FX Trading Station. So you can backtest and optimize strategies during non-trading hours.
Logout_commands.PNG

The latest version of the platform is available on FXCM site.
sunshine

Postby jhouchin » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I disconnected from the network to try this.

It is quite unintuitive to click "Cancel" and then proceed to do things. When I am not able to login and have to click "Cancel", I have never proceeded any further.

Nevertheless, at your suggestion I tried this and it worked as far as I took it. I did not actually conduct a backtest or optimization.

Is the data available 24/7? If not, then that would need to be addressed.
Does the application store data once downloaded?
Will the app be able to use external data, such as available here?
CodeBase Price Archive

As I explore the website further it appears you can use the Strategy Debugger for backtesting. And use it with the external data above.

Is the Strategy Debugger the preferred method of optimization and backtesting?

If so, then I think it would be profitable to change the name from Strategy Debugger to Strategy Tester. ( or some name which better describes it than Debugger )
Strategy Tester
debug - test correctness ( at least for some definition of correctness)
optimize - test for best parameters
backtest - test for historical profit / loss

Also, if the Strategy Debugger (Tester) is the preferred means, then it seems as if it would be a good thing to install it with the Tradestation/Marketscope and open the application up when someone chooses to backtest. Make it explicit.

I do think one good right way to optimize/backtest Strategies is preferable. That way we have one good solid tool. All development for optimizing/backtesting goes into that tool. And I don't think it would be a bad idea if that app was separate from Marketscope even if it was called by Marketscope if the user was doing so from within Marketscope.

Just a couple of comments and thoughts.

Thanks.

Jimmie
jhouchin

Postby sunshine » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:07 am

Hi Jimmie,

Thanks for your post and interest in our products.

jhouchin wrote:Does the application store data once downloaded?

When you conduct backtest/optimization, the price data for the chosen time interval will be loaded from the server and saved on your computer. So next time when Backtester/Optimizer needs the data for this time interval, the data stored on your computer will be used.

jhouchin wrote:Is the data available 24/7? If not, then that would need to be addressed.

If Backtester/Optimizer requires the data that has already been loaded from the server, the stored data will be used. So the data is available at any time.

But if Backtester/Optimizer requests for the new data (that has not been loaded earlier), it may be possible that server is not available. For example, during non-trading hours. So the data may be unavailable. But I'm not sure. I should clear this point up with the server-side developers.

jhouchin wrote:Is the Strategy Debugger the preferred method of optimization and backtesting?

Marketscope Backtester/Optimizer and Strategy Debugger use exactly the same methods/algorithms for backtesting/optimization.
But the tools have different features:
1) Marketscope Backtester/Optimizer has advanced tools for backtesting/optimization. It provides advanced report (statistics) and allows you to work with charts (add indicators etc). Besides it provides easy step-by-step interface for customizing backtest/optimization parameters.
2) Strategy Debugger allows you to debug your strategy and save the strategy in to .bin format. This tool is intended rather for strategy developers.
sunshine

Postby jhouchin » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:10 pm

But if Backtester/Optimizer requests for the new data (that has not been loaded earlier), it may be possible that server is not available. For example, during non-trading hours. So the data may be unavailable. But I'm not sure. I should clear this point up with the server-side developers.

If data is not available 24/7, it would be nice if a means was made for the app to download the desired data on demand prior to backtesting. Since this data is static and does not change except to add new data at the end of a period (week/month) and has nothing to do with live trading or accessing an account. I think it would be nice if it were simply available 24/7 from its own server.

Since users would only download once, I don't think that should be too demanding on the system.

Marketscope Backtester/Optimizer and Strategy Debugger use exactly the same methods/algorithms for backtesting/optimization.
But the tools have different features:
1) Marketscope Backtester/Optimizer has advanced tools for backtesting/optimization. It provides advanced report (statistics) and allows you to work with charts (add indicators etc). Besides it provides easy step-by-step interface for customizing backtest/optimization parameters.
2) Strategy Debugger allows you to debug your strategy and save the strategy in to .bin format. This tool is intended rather for strategy developers.

Yes, I understand the demographics of the two user communities between Marketscope users and the Strategy developers.

I think it would be fine if the Debugger was purely a debugger and did not include any backtesting or optimization functionality.

I also think it would be a good idea to break away the Strategy Backtest/Optimize from Marketscope. These things have nothing to do with live trading. You don't work with charts or add indicators during backtesting/optimizing.

Breaking out the Backtester and Optimizer into its own application would also explicitly separate any thought that you need to login to use the tools. Clicking "Cancel" is still an unintuitive way to access tools.

This community is small enough that I think it would be advantageous to have one preferred way to do these various tasks. Since Backtesting/Optimizing is done by everyone who uses a Strategy and not just developers. And it is not used while trading. Please consider breaking it out into its own app. Simplify the Debugger and Marketscope.

Let the Debugger debug and do it well.
Let Marketscope support Trading and do it well.
Lets have a Backtester/Optimizer that does it well. (as Backtesting/Optimizing is neither trading nor debugging)

Thanks for listening to my suggestions and comments. I appreciate it.
You have made available an excellent tool for which I am most grateful.

Jimmie
jhouchin

Postby willcsk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:11 am

hi there,,,

i notice the downloaded hist data , somtime out of sync.

is there a way i can manual clear the cache, request a new one
for backtest n optimizer ?

thx for the hlp
willcsk

Postby willcsk » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi Apprentice,

i run the back test over period of 1 week,( week by week basis)

sometime the result is diff, ie: on early monday , then on thursday again or some otherday
( same backtest week each time)

i forgot to capture the screen. i will try to capture for the test result.
willcsk

Return to General Discussions