Commitment of Traders (COT)

If you need an Indicator or Signal developed or translated from other language, please post all Indicator development REQUESTS to this section here.

Moderator: admin

Commitment of Traders (COT)

Postby Apprentice » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:05 pm

I have an interesting proposal, an indicator based on the COT report, a good tool for determining long-term trends.

Commitment of Traders (COT) report is published on Tuesday by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC).

Non Commercial component shows a high correlation with the dollar exchange rate movements.

Report is available here http://www.cftc.gov/marketreports/commitmentsoftraders/CFTC009781.html

I have added Excel example for Dollar and parallel movement of EUR / USD for comparison.
Attachments
cot (1).PNG
COT
COT.rar
Excel example
(16.36 KiB) Downloaded 868 times
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Re: Commitment of Traders (COT)

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:09 pm

A good idea. However, we'll have to put these reports in some convenient format, such as csv for easier access and parsing, but I have just added an ability to load the data via WEB into the upcoming release. You can see a very-very draft indicator which puts dailyFX calendar events on the chart in the near topic (viewtopic.php?f=27&t=431). Or... a trader can download the reports manually and then choose the report file as a parameter of the indicator. Hm... why not?
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Re: Commitment of Traders (COT)

Postby Apprentice » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:19 am

That might work, but it be better to do the job for the users, not all users are IT or and enthusiasts.
Data have no copyright protection, if I understand correctly.

That may work if you make things simply.

Such things on other platforms are usually very complicated, even for me, make this, and then that .... and in the end nothing works. That is why I like this concept of a centralized platform plug-ins development.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Return to Indicator and Signal Requests