Trading Station/Marketscope 2011-III Beta

The beta versions of the Trading Stations and Marketscope

Moderator: admin

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:12 am

The beta version of the Trading Station/Marketscope 2011-III (official release is scheduled @ beginning of October 2011) is available for public testing.

Important notes:

1) This beta version is installed in addition to the production version of the trading station. It does not replace the production version, so both version can be used simultaneously, in the same time.

2) The beta version is not designed to work on real accounts. It may, and, most probably does, contain defects. Please do not use it on real accounts.

3) The broker support service has not seen this version yet, so, please discuss all questions and report all problems here. Do not call your broker to ask about or to report a problem in the beta version.

Please read the beta-testing license agreement carefully before installing the beta version.

You can download the beta version using the following link:
http://fxcodebase.com/bin/FXTS2InstallDev.EXE

The new version highlights:

1) The Indicore 2.0 indicator and strategies API specification is completely supported.

2) The strategy dashboard can be used in Marketscope and Trading Station to manage and monitor all running strategies. Also, a strategy can be started, stopped or restarted directly from the chart of the instrument at which the strategy is being executed.

3) New strategy backtester and New strategy parameter optimizer. Backtest and optimize your strategies using new ultra-realistic and high-precise market simulator.

The backtesting/optimizer uses 1-minute price archives to provide the simulated tick curve which is very close to the real market and is enough for almost all applications (probably, except pip chasing strategies, which, however, can be backtested and optimized using real tick history archives in Indicore SDK 2.0 Strategy Debugger).

However, production version will have access to 1-minute archives of all supported instruments.

4) Now you can apply the indicator at any time frame which is equal or bigger than the time frame of the chart. So, no more "bigger time frame versions" of the indicator is required, just choose required time frame in the indicator parameters. See Bigger Time Frame Indicators for details.

5) Filters everywhere the instrument, indicator or strategy is chosen.

6) the limit of the candles/bars on the chart is increased to 15,000 candles from 5,000 in the previous version. Also, 300-bar hidden "tail" is loaded to make indicators which depends on previous data (such as EMA) reliable in the most cases right from the first visible bar.
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Re: Trading Station/Marketscope 2011-III Beta

Postby Bebbspoke » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:05 am

Hi Nikolay,

Thanks for the info on the new Beta (and the "citation" in your recent mail) - I am very busy will Leslie Coelho (my software writer) at present - for the time being we will stick with the previous version as we know (most) of it's foibles...

I shall however take a close look at the beta soon - but a few points that may be worth considering:

1/ I KNOW this would please MANY traders, especially roboteers: - a CLEARLY defined signal isrequired that informs of "END of Old Candle // START of New Candle"

2/ The ticks on the RHS vertical axis are not necessarily helpful or correctly intervaled for the respective graticules - 5ths & 10ths may appear much more appropriate, easier and quicker to read and less likely to induce error than 4ths and 8ths. Perhaps leave this as a user selectable because many old diehards will be used to rapidly working out what 3/8 of 75 is!!!

3/ The EMA averaging which (I believe) is now correct is NOT unique to EMAs: - any Moving Average is potentially fraughtwith the same problem. I only raised the subject on EMAs because they are the only form of MA that I use. EVERY "n" Moving Average should be preloaded with 1.5*n historic data to be mathematically correct and therefore credible as useable data. To be a mathmatical purist the first n points shown on a graph sould be appear as dashed lines to imply the data that created the line is not visible on screen.

Thanks again for your work and your guidance // discussions wth Leslie... now when's FX Connect coming out of beta???

Cheers, John aka "Bebbspoke"
Bebbspoke
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:16 am

Bebbspoke wrote:1/ I KNOW this would please MANY traders, especially roboteers: - a CLEARLY defined signal isrequired that informs of "END of Old Candle // START of New Candle"

This solution partially available. There is signal on the first tick of the new candle and there is an indicator which shows time to end. However such signal is pretty easy to develop, I'll put it on fxcodebase right today.

Bebbspoke wrote:2/ The ticks on the RHS vertical axis are not necessarily helpful or correctly intervaled for the respective graticules - 5ths & 10ths may appear much more appropriate, easier and quicker to read and less likely to induce error than 4ths and 8ths. Perhaps leave this as a user selectable because many old diehards will be used to rapidly working out what 3/8 of 75 is!!!

Yep, the axis are the thing to refactor for the last three releases. There are a lot of things to do, from better interval for both, time and price axis as well as logarithmic scales and so on. I hope that the next release won't be so tight like this one and we will have resources to do it finally.

Bebbspoke wrote:3/ The EMA averaging which (I believe) is now correct is NOT unique to EMAs: - any Moving Average is potentially fraughtwith the same problem. I only raised the subject on EMAs because they are the only form of MA that I use. EVERY "n" Moving Average should be preloaded with 1.5*n historic data to be mathematically correct and therefore credible as useable data. To be a mathmatical purist the first n points shown on a graph sould be appear as dashed lines to imply the data that created the line is not visible on screen.

Now it is 300 bars preloaded for any indicator, not only EMA. It must be enough for most applications. Also, the limit of bars has been increased from 5000 to 15000 for the regular chart, that makes the indicator data more reliable. There are still a problem that loading such number of candles takes additional time because of not so good performance of the chart server, but we are going to switch data loading to the price archives, as we did for backtesting, (an year of minutes loaded just in seconds) in the next release. After this change the chart will finally be close enough to MT4's.

Bebbspoke wrote:Thanks again for your work and your guidance // discussions wth Leslie... now when's FX Connect coming out of beta???

The sources are tested and ready. Now we are almost finished with updating the documentation and still waiting approve from FXCM's law department for the license and EULA for the production version (currently it comes under Gehtsoft's beta license).
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Postby jtatalov » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:27 pm

Damn this this rocks! better color, more detail, nice guys....seems to run a little slower when uploading data though....These are my initial thoughts
jtatalov

Postby jtatalov » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:35 pm

Hey I'm having some issues with the EMA the larger EMA's will not show up unless I zoom out the charts then, this is particularly prevalent on the smaller time frames. FYI.

I'm also not really digging the output on some of the indicators. I feel like they aren't giving me the same response that I was getting previously. I guess I'll have to sit here and tune this system like I had to do with the older version.
jtatalov

Postby nookie » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Hey Nikolay,

I think this works much better on my win 64bit, and Fib expansions, GREAT :ugeek: good job guys! thanks!

Just some small things I saw:

1. this thing for the chart timeframes seems to be not fixed:

Failed to create the indicator 'MTF_MVA_DIR' during the chart loading. The error details: [string "mtf_mva_dir.lua"]:88: The chosen time frame must be equal to or bigger than the chart time frame!.

2. when I click on the m15 -> 10 days and my setting is good for me so I would like to make it default how can I do it if next time I click again only "m15" and it remembers my previous view? The default is always the higher in the column of settings, in this case of m15 its 1day period which is a bit frustrating

3. Price alerts - "set as default is not working properly". I would like to put a price alert on condition "crosses" or "crosses or touches" but it seems not to be working one. The same was in the previous version though..

4. In Options -> General options -> Lua Virtual Machine type
What does this mean? I'm not able to find it in the help of Marketscope

5. Can't find the button to attach an image but this version of TS seems to use much more RAM than the previous... previous was ~ 200MB and this one is as much as double, in peaks it goes to 1GB.. good I have enough but is this normal I'm wondering

It seems you added support for dual and quadcore CPU's in this version, I'm running the last one and it doesn't have to be changed its affinity to use all 4.. good job :)

Also I was having some weird lag issues with the previous version sometimes, I chaged/updated almost all of on my PC including the internet twice, so my download/upload speed to NY is 30Mbps/20Mbps with a latency of around 150ms (I'm located in Europe). Now this version is better but still lags dramatically sometimes (showing loading rates and just freezing at times), so I think it would be nice if this price and historic data is not loaded every time user switches graphic and price data from 15min to 4H and then 1Day and then again downloading the same data when switching back to 15min. again.. if this can be downloaded once and for all in the "cache" folder or some other folder would be much appreciated by all the folks around including me for sure. Or make it as an option to have the price data in files and load it from there if possible(hint).
To load the price data locally from the user PC itself and feeding only the updates would be really useful and great.

Cheers,

Nookie
nookie
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Postby jtatalov » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Other things I noticed:

When I try to optimize a strategy it would be nice to have the 'no' field automatically uncheck when I click "yes".

Also, when you click on the individual criterion for further description it doesn't show the full definition, you can see some of the definition cut off....
jtatalov

Postby sunshine » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:20 am

Thank you for the feedback! It is highly appreciated.

nookie wrote:1. this thing for the chart timeframes seems to be not fixed:

Failed to create the indicator 'MTF_MVA_DIR' during the chart loading. The error details: [string "mtf_mva_dir.lua"]:88: The chosen time frame must be equal to or bigger than the chart time frame!.

It is a correct behavior. You should select time frames in the indicator properties which will be equal to or bigger than the time frame of your chart.

nookie wrote:2. when I click on the m15 -> 10 days and my setting is good for me so I would like to make it default how can I do it if next time I click again only "m15" and it remembers my previous view? The default is always the higher in the column of settings, in this case of m15 its 1day period which is a bit frustrating

Good question. I have passed the suggestion forward for future consideration.

nookie wrote:3. Price alerts - "set as default is not working properly". I would like to put a price alert on condition "crosses" or "crosses or touches" but it seems not to be working one. The same was in the previous version though..

Actually when you add a price alert by clicking above the current market price, the default condition is always "Crosses above" (and when you click below the market - "Crosses below").
When you click "Set as Default" in the price alert dialog, the saved condition will be used only when you add a price alert using the command in the main chart menu.

nookie wrote:4. In Options -> General options -> Lua Virtual Machine type
What does this mean? I'm not able to find it in the help of Marketscope

The Lua Just-in-time virtual machine gives 20-50% better performance for the most indicators and strategies in comparison with standard Lua virtual machine. As for the difference between Lua "Just-in-time (Bytecode interpretation)" and "Lua Just-in-time", I'll clear this up with the developers and let you know.

nookie wrote:5. Can't find the button to attach an image but this version of TS seems to use much more RAM than the previous... previous was ~ 200MB and this one is as much as double, in peaks it goes to 1GB.. good I have enough but is this normal I'm wondering

It seems you added support for dual and quadcore CPU's in this version, I'm running the last one and it doesn't have to be changed its affinity to use all 4.. good job :)

Also I was having some weird lag issues with the previous version sometimes, I chaged/updated almost all of on my PC including the internet twice, so my download/upload speed to NY is 30Mbps/20Mbps with a latency of around 150ms (I'm located in Europe). Now this version is better but still lags dramatically sometimes (showing loading rates and just freezing at times), so I think it would be nice if this price and historic data is not loaded every time user switches graphic and price data from 15min to 4H and then 1Day and then again downloading the same data when switching back to 15min. again.. if this can be downloaded once and for all in the "cache" folder or some other folder would be much appreciated by all the folks around including me for sure. Or make it as an option to have the price data in files and load it from there if possible(hint).
To load the price data locally from the user PC itself and feeding only the updates would be really useful and great.

Cheers,

Nookie

Could you please save your layout and post here (or send to support (at) gehtsoftusa dot com) so we'll be able to check if this is ok for your layout.
As for the cache, AFAIK Marketscope team started to work on this. I'll clarify and let you know.
sunshine

Postby Bebbspoke » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:08 am

PLEASE can we have the option for symbols in both TSIII and Marketscope to be listed in ALPHABETIC order - some distinction would have to be made with the indicies and commodities...
I cannot rationalize the present order and it is most unhelpful for rapid seek and find.

Another facility I would find most useful would be to (at least) double the number of symbols that a demo account can handle - at present it is only 20 (twenty) - for someone who's robot is destined to run on all symbols (which have a sensible MMR value)....it would be much more convenient if the capacity was increased to at least 40 (forty) symbols.
Bebbspoke
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby sunshine » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:49 am

Bebbspoke wrote:PLEASE can we have the option for symbols in both TSIII and Marketscope to be listed in ALPHABETIC order - some distinction would have to be made with the indicies and commodities...
I cannot rationalize the present order and it is most unhelpful for rapid seek and find.

Thanks for your suggestion. I've forwarded it to TSII team to see if we can add this functionality. I hope the issue will be resolved in one of the next releases.
Bebbspoke wrote:Another facility I would find most useful would be to (at least) double the number of symbols that a demo account can handle - at present it is only 20 (twenty) - for someone who's robot is destined to run on all symbols (which have a sensible MMR value)....it would be much more convenient if the capacity was increased to at least 40 (forty) symbols.

By default, the number of symbols that you can display at one time are limited to 20 symbols to ensure a strong connection to FXCM. If you plan to trade more than 20 symbols at once, please Click Here to Chat or email FXCM at admin@fxcm.com and they can allow more symbols on your account.
sunshine

Next

Return to Beta Versions