Trading Station/Marketscope 2011-III Beta

The beta versions of the Trading Stations and Marketscope

Moderator: admin

Re: Trading Station/Marketscope 2011-III Beta

Postby sunshine » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:22 am

Hi Bebbspoke,

Thanks for your post.

Bebbspoke wrote:Further to jtatalov's request for a "refresh" facility I would find it most helpful if there was a "hold" facility - this would PREVENT the screen automatically resetting to latest the live time at the end of the current running candle...

You can enable/disable the automatic scrolling to the latest data using the Lock View button on the toolbar. I hope it will help.
LockVew.PNG

Bebbspoke wrote:Likewise - (I know, I have asked for this before) there is a "Scroll to End" in one of the drop-downs - great - but please can we have a "Scroll to OTHER End"

You can use the HOME key to view the oldest period.
Bebbspoke wrote:and (better still) a "Scroll to User inserts Time &/or Date"
Thanks a lot Guys, Bebbspoke

This suggestion has already been included in our "wish list". I hope the option will be implemented in one of the next releases. For now you can scroll a chart back or forward approximately by the same number of periods as currently visible on the chart by pressing the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN keys.
Thanks again.
sunshine

Postby Bebbspoke » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:35 am

Hi Sunshine,

Thank you for highlighting the possible use of the "Lock View" - this will certainly help some detailed analysis - it will not have quite the same action or effect as would cancelling the auto refresh but will definately make things a bit easier.

Thanks also for the information that the Page Up/Down keys may assist in navigating the data string. - That will help until we get a "Scroll to date &/or time"

I still challenge your view that learning to read indicators is more art than science...
I have a robot soon to be deployed that identifies 1:1 trades with a 80% win certainty; the identification and processing is done entirely mathematically - there is no art here.

except of course the art in the use of the mathematics... Cheers, Bebbspoke
Bebbspoke
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby sunshine » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:05 am

I just wanted to say that when using one or another indicator we must take a lot of different factors into account. Some indicators are good on ranging market, others – on trending etc.
We cannot just place an indicator at any market and wait for signals which bring us millions of profit. Just my thoughts.

I won’t challenge your view. It’s just another possible view.
sunshine

Postby jhouchin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:53 pm

I have to agree with Sunshine here. Indicators, signals and strategies are much more art than science.

Do we use science (mathematics)? Yes, absolutely. Markets are fluid and dynamic. They are not precisely repeatable or consistent. What works today or in the past may not work tomorrow. In fact the very attempts we make to profit from the market actually will affect, impact and move the market. And those influences aren't easily testable in historic data. However that does not mean that we can't build a system which can profit in and from the markets. That is what all of us here are attempting to do.

In engineering or any of the mechanical trades, systems are built with specified tolerances which allow for variances in specified places. It trading we specify the tolerances of our mechanical systems with various parameters. Stops, limits, the various parameters of the various indicators and signals used. It is an art to establish good tolerances in our trading systems. It is very much about the right compromises. And we will each choose different compromises than someone else with precisely the same data.

There is a very thin line between art and science. The line moves toward one or the other based on our understanding. The more we know. The more we can quantify. The more data we have to model our understanding and make decisions, the closer it gets to science.

There is far too little data that we can understand, qualify and quantify as to the movement of the markets for this to be anywhere near a pure science.

The best we can do is to take what we can know, understand, qualify and quantify. Build our systems. And include sufficient tolerances, that we make more than we lose. In so doing, we profitable. We will always be endeavoring to increase our data, knowledge, and understanding so that we can continually improve our systems.

If it were truly science and only science, the brilliant scientists here would be raking in the profits.

There is a lot more art to our science than is often given credit. But for us, it is the science which gives vision for the artist to do what he does. It isn't that there isn't science in what the artist does. But that we are unable to qualify and quantify precisely and repeatable those things that the artist might do by some gifting, intuition or insight into the picture that science paints for him.

It is the artist willingness to do things that the scientist doesn't understand, that makes an artist an artist. The scientist doesn't understand what the artist does because the scientist hasn't quantified the data, or simply doesn't have any data to prove the artists actions.

There is more data that we don't know about the markets and why and how they move, than what we do. Until the day that we know significantly more than we don't know, it will be art. But fortunately for us, there is enough that we do know, that we can attempt to make a profit.

But I will go out and say that in my opinion, the people who will make the most profit are actual the best artist in the group, not the best scientist. I would also go on to say that the best scientists are those with a healthy amount of art in their science, even if they do not attribute anything to art.

My 2 pips. :)

Jimmie
jhouchin
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby jtatalov » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:24 am

I'm getting some weird stats for the back testing, have you guys experienced this?

jtatalov

Postby jtatalov » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:06 am

I'm really having a lot of problems with the backtest altogether. What do you guys suggest? I can't even see the candlesticks or the signals when backtesting

jtatalov

Postby nookie » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:00 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering it would be very useful if the price alerts could be not only horizontal but could be drawn as a "free hand" line vertically. This way trend line break could be caught. Is it possible to happen ?

Thanks
nookie
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Postby sunshine » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:29 am

jtatalov wrote:I'm getting some weird stats for the back testing, have you guys experienced this?

Could you please tell me which signal/strategy you use and specify parameters you set.
It also would be great if you could save the backtest project and send it to the email
support (at) gehtsoftusa dot com
To save the projecrt
1. Go to the File menu -> Save command.
2. After saving the project, export it using the command File-> Manage Projects -> Export.
sunshine

Postby jtatalov » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 pm

would it be possible to add a feature that allows you to track the entry and exits of the back test similar to the "trading information" --> "track show trading history" then allow for the line to show entry and exit as well as the profit loss per trade.
jtatalov

Postby sunshine » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:18 am

jtatalov wrote:would it be possible to add a feature that allows you to track the entry and exits of the back test similar to the "trading information" --> "track show trading history" then allow for the line to show entry and exit as well as the profit loss per trade.

Thanks for your suggestion. I will pass along it to development team to see if we can add this feature in future versions.
sunshine

PreviousNext

Return to Beta Versions