Breakout Strategy

Strategies are published here.

Moderator: admin

Re: Breakout Strategy

Postby fskliris » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:19 pm

I have study your strategy and I have an idea for fix it a little bit better.
First we want a channel with the top and low of candles . That will be from a certain hour to a certain hour let say from 00.00 to 04.00 GMT. Then we want a certain time frame lets say 1 hour . Then we want a certain hour by the end of it, every position that is open during the day will close let’s say 18.00 . And finally we want to open a position long or short with the break and close out side the channel.
The perfect system . Can you fix it working like a robot? Thanks.
Attachments
l.png
fskliris

Postby fskliris » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Of course I forgot the stoploss that is the other side of the channel + the spread. This is a new position of course. The take profit is the pips that we take by the end of the certain time that we have put from the start of the system.
fskliris

Postby Gregopat » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:39 pm

hello
You can add the parameter count of bar in the breakout strategy.
thank you.
Gregopat

Postby Apprentice » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:01 am

Can you give more information on how this parameter affects the behavior of the strategy.
If ... then .... else ...

For example, ignore breakout occurs in the first n periods.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby Gregopat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:06 pm

hello
THIS IS of the order used in coral strategy that allows an order issued after 1,2,5 or 10 candles.
here it is: strategy.parameters: addgroup ("Strategy Parameters");
strategy.parameters: addInteger ("N", "Count of bars", "Count of bars", 3, 1, 100);

if you need more do not hesitate to ask me, thank you for your time
Gregopat

Postby Apprentice » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:45 am

Everything is clear now.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby BlueBloodedTrader » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:40 am

STRATEGY UPDATE REQUEST

This strategy is really quite good but could be improved further with minimal work.

FIRST IMPROVEMENT

The trailing stop limit is useful. What is needed now is the addition of a trailing profit limit. This would work in exactly the same way as the trailing stop limit but simply in reverse. It would be useful where a market doesn't breakout cleanly but instead oscilates around the breakout level. In essence, where a market is undecided about direction it is far better to have a mechanism that tightens both the stop and profit limits in order to improve chances of success.

The trailing profit will have no impact on the clean breakouts which will still max out.

This will improve the win ratio enormously.

Would you kindly add this to the strategy?

SECOND IMPROVEMENT

This strategy works very well for hard trending markets but very badly for rangebound markets that don't "breakout" very well. In fact, for such markets, this strategy consistently loses money, which presents a fantastic opportunity.

If you are able to introduce a user preference in the strategy that allows the strategy to be "reversed" then the strategy could be applied to range bound markets profitably.

So if the "reverse" preference is elected by the user, the strategy would enter a buy trade on the break of the lower channel (instead of a sell trade) and it would enter a sell trade on the break of the upper channel (instead of a buy trade). The profit and loss limits would also need to be reversed accordingly.

The trailing profit described above would then function exactly as the trailing stop now functions....but creating lots of small winners every time there is a failed breakout in a rangebound market.

Thank you for your help with this.
BlueBloodedTrader

Postby SystemTrader » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:20 am

Hello. Am very interested in this strategy but have a question (apologies in advance if it is stupid..) The strategy backtest report that the system generates seems "light" for my purposes, as it does not contain detailed info in relation to each trade. What I need ideally is the dates and entry and exit levels for each trade - is there a way to get that level of detail out of the system? Thank you in advance.
SystemTrader

Postby RJH501 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:30 pm

Apprentise, what is the parameter, Trade once per day, supposed to do.

In all of mt testing it seems to do nothing at all. Yes or No it will trade as many times as price breaks the borders.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated,

Richard
RJH501

Postby sunshine » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:34 am

SystemTrader wrote:Hello. Am very interested in this strategy but have a question (apologies in advance if it is stupid..) The strategy backtest report that the system generates seems "light" for my purposes, as it does not contain detailed info in relation to each trade. What I need ideally is the dates and entry and exit levels for each trade - is there a way to get that level of detail out of the system? Thank you in advance.

The next release will include the improved backtester. It will provide more detailed report and tick log with details for each trade.
For now you can use Indicore SDK to view the tick log which provides info about all trading operations. For details please see Backtesting of strategy in Indicore SDK
sunshine

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Strategies