Trading Session Hours Highlight (closed)

Here you can post and download custom indicators. PLEASE: Do not start topics unless you are posting your own indicator, they will be moved to appropriate section even if you do.

Moderator: admin

Re: Trading Session Hours Highlight

Postby a135711 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Well. To more questions:
1) Do you want to see these lines for the chosen session only (e.g. NY or London only) or for all currently active sessions?

at the minimum, i need the last session lines to be visible in oder to reference the current session's evolving price action.

lets establish the trading day as the point of change. when a new trading day begins, all lines from each of the previously day's active sessions are erased. at the trading day progresses through the various active sessions, the lines are drawn for each active session and shall remain visible until the end of the the current trading day.

2) What to do with the lines when the session ends? Should line disappears until the next session begins?
the lines should be left visible for each active session until the end of the trading day.
a135711

Postby a135711 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:36 pm

in regard to the issue of crossover periods,ie the london NY crossover, the lines from the London session are what matter most since the current price action occurring in the London/NY crossover does so in reference to the price action that happened in London. if the line color are matched to the session color, then overlapping lines should be quite readable even when the NY session starts to change. also, the crossover, in my mind is a distinct period of trade. thus the crossovers of Sydney/Tokyo, Tokyo/London, London/NY are defined as unique periods. thus the periods are:

Sydney
Sydney/Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo/London
London/NY
NY

if each period has the lines drawn for that period, then the next period can be compared to it. it might be cleaner to write under this distinction.
a135711

Postby LordTwig » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Nikolay,

Great Job with this, it has been well received in the downloads (over 600 times).
Love the crossovers and High Low points.

the indicator cannot highlight the trading sessions on the time frames higher than 1 hour.

Mine does not work on the (1) hour chart though? I thought only above 1 hour does not work

Also, I reckon it needs the following
1) high & low points 'price' above/below them (text ie 1.4567 H... 1.4486 L) added.

2) Above the 'current' high and low it should have the pips total from Open(Session Open) to Low (ie -67pips) & Open to High (ie +126 pips) @ the high & low points(ie it will move position only if higher or lower values.

3) At end of Session it shows total pips from session low to session high or vice versa (ie SE+256pips)

4) User choice on each above.

5) User choice for Both Sessions & Overlaps or either or none on above.

6) Remove Info Heading Line sessions text and place text instead under each coloured session line the main session name ie London under the London session.

Well done so far.
Cheers
LordTwig
Cheers
LordTwig
LordTwig
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby Apprentice » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

I second that Suggestions by LordTwig, about 5 proposals still not have clear mind.
Apprentice

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:29 pm

LordTwig wrote:Mine does not work on the (1) hour chart though? I thought only above 1 hour does not work

It's mine mistake. Done.

LordTwig wrote:1) high & low points 'price' above/below them (text ie 1.4567 H... 1.4486 L) added.

2) Above the 'current' high and low it should have the pips total from Open(Session Open) to Low (ie -67pips) & Open to High (ie +126 pips) @ the high & low points(ie it will move position only if higher or lower values.

3) At end of Session it shows total pips from session low to session high or vice versa (ie SE+256pips)

4) User choice on each above.

5) User choice for Both Sessions & Overlaps or either or none on above.

6) Remove Info Heading Line sessions text and place text instead under each coloured session line the main session name ie London under the London session.

1) I cannot remove the labels from the headline, but can add the name of the session on the chart. Done.

2) I have also added an option to show the high, low and the distance from high and low to the open of the session.

The only problem I see is that the chart now have too much information. So, I need advice: is it ok or, probably, the user must choose the session which must be labeled, or, probably, we can show this information in the tooltip which is shown when cursor is over the session name.

session.png

To try this version download (it's beta!!!):
TRADESESSIONS.lua
(12.71 KiB) Downloaded 3213 times
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Postby Apprentice » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Another possible option.
Absolute and percentage changes from the beginning of the session.

Replace
instance:addStream(n, core.Line, iname .. "." .. n, n, color, first);
with
instance:addStream(n, core.Line, iname, "", color, first);
Apprentice

Postby a135711 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:47 pm

any numerical or textual information definitely in tool tips or the option to turn it off. i like the idea of having a absolute pip range per session since this could be compared session to session at a glance. having the session spelled and color coded seems to add unnecessary information. what is needed is a mid line per session, or the session channel divided into high to mid channel and a mid to low channel.

how goes the fibo enhancement for this indicator?
a135711

Postby LordTwig » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:17 am

Do you know what......... I love it!! :mrgreen:
It kinda looks like a flight controllers screen eh?

Yeah, flexibility to only show session(s) user wants would be a great addition.

I do agree it can look a bit busy on the hourly only....... but if you place each output under each other (stacked)it would be more more neater and takes up less horizontal room ie;
London
256 --(this one....is the total/sum of High & Low for session) if you could add that as well.

The optional text size is great too, as a font of size 7 on hour chart does wonders.(which could be automatically shown in size 7 when viewing hour chart)

BTW..... not getting picky.... but for future ref, Sydney is spelt with an Y not an i... :) it might be confusing for people with less english.

Cheers
LordTwig
Last edited by LordTwig on Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
LordTwig
LordTwig

Postby LordTwig » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:38 am

a135711 wrote:any numerical or textual information definitely in tool tips or the option to turn it off.

The thing I don't like about 'tooltip' is, it is not resposive enough, If it was instant dynamic scrolling display then good..... but it is as slow as a dead cow being eaten by one ant ;).

Cursur data is crap as well because it needs to be made smaller (text) and be able to only list the values that user wants, as opposed to showing every damn line & value of every indicator on the screen/chart. Curser data table is also fixed in the area that it is placed and gets in the way all the time.

Need something like the data box shown in screenshot but dynamic and fast(it imediately updates as you scroll)
These are the things in which Marketscope lets itself down. Here is the proof
http://fxcodebase.com/code/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=903&p=1648&hilit=tooltip#p1648
To see the full name ajust move the mouse cursor over the pattern label and wait until a tooltip with the full name appears

Say 'yeah' everybody.
Cheers
LordTwig
Attachments
Data box.jpg
Cheers
LordTwig
LordTwig

Postby a135711 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm

Cursur data is crap as well because it needs to be made smaller (text) and be able to only list the values that user wants, as opposed to showing every damn line & value of every indicator on the screen/chart. Curser data table is also fixed in the area that it is placed and gets in the way all the time.

i was able some months back to get only the data to print on a tool tip as well as real time dynamic text to print, the tooltip is specific to the bar itself. i only have to run the cursor over the top of the bar to get it. it only shows the information i programmed it to do so. any indicator or oscillator value can be printed in this way.
numerical text data(oscillator values) can also be printed real-time above the bar, below it. i used it to print above the current bar the value of the current RLW indicator. granted its precision was only 3 digits for the sake of clarity, but it did tell me that when the RLW hit 100 or 0 whilst the bar was in action
a135711

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Indicators