Watermark

Here you can post and download custom indicators. PLEASE: Do not start topics unless you are posting your own indicator, they will be moved to appropriate section even if you do.

Moderator: admin

Watermark

Postby robocod » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:19 pm

This indicator simply displays some 'watermark' text at the centre of the chart. This text is the instrument's name, or custom text that you can enter. The date can also be added, in DD/MM/YYYY or MM/DD/YYYY formats.

The indicator might be of use to you if you take screenshots of the charts for your journal or to post on forums.

For best result the text colour should be very close to the background colour, e.g. pale grey when using white background, or dark grey when using black background, etc. I made it a little darker than normal in the screenshot below - just so it would show up well on the screen capture. When displaying the instrument's name, there are 2 formats - with or without the timeframe period, e.g. "EUR/USD" or "EUR/USD (H1)".

Best shown by the following example...

watermark.png

The indicator should be put in the background, as shown here...

watermark2.png

Here's the code (latest version, dated 27/June/2014) ...
watermark.lua
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 2392 times

MT4/MQ4 version
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=70752
Last edited by robocod on Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
robocod
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Re: Watermark

Postby robocod » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Bug-fix version up-loaded (I messed up with date value). :roll:
robocod

Postby nazaar » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Hello,

could you add an option for user to adjust font size and location of watermark? top, bottom, left and right?

thanks.
nazaar
FXCodeBase: Initiate

Postby robocod » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:47 pm

nazaar wrote:Hello,

could you add an option for user to adjust font size and location of watermark? top, bottom, left and right?

thanks.

Hmm, this was trickier than I thought - messing around with point sizes (1/72 of inch) to get it spaced properly depending on font sizes, and position - but I think I managed it. Please see attached.
Last edited by robocod on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
robocod

Postby nazaar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:08 am

robocod wrote:Hmm, this was trickier than I thought - messing around with point sizes (1/72 of inch) to get it spaced properly depending on font sizes, and position - but I think I managed it. Please see attached.

watermark.lua

Brilliant! Thank you!
nazaar
FXCodeBase: Initiate

Postby Apprentice » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 pm

Here you can find a template that provides a basic mechanism for easy change of orientation for labels. Label Positioning Template Support top-right, top-lef, bottom-left, bottom-right, center and price orientations.
download/file.php?id=5228
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby rplust » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:34 am

Hi,
the watermark is great. I always was looking for something like this but actually to display the current price? Is it too much to ask if you can do that as an option to chose (price only and/or together)? Thank you!
rplust

Postby robocod » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:28 pm

rplust wrote:Hi,
the watermark is great. I always was looking for something like this but actually to display the current price? Is it too much to ask if you can do that as an option to chose (price only and/or together)? Thank you!

Hi, thanks for your interest and question. However, I don't plan to add to current price to the indicator (I don't really see the value in it). Sorry.
robocod

Postby Silverthorn » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Is it possible to make the Watermark Text specific to the currency pair. I have been using the Watermark text in my top down analysis. Sort of like a trading journal that lives on the chart.

At to centre I put M1 analysis eg. "M1-Long 3mth trend resistance at 1.3456"
Bottom Left W1 analysis eg. "W1-Short pin bar at top of rally"
Bottom Centre D1 analysis eg. "D1-Short 3rd bar of short trend"
Bottom Right H8 analysis eg. "H8-Range Bound 1.234-1.254"

That way I can see at a glance what my overall view of the pair is. The only problem is that I then have to save a snapshot to be able to recall for each pair. If I change the pair from the drop down I am looking at the analysis for the original pair displayed on the wrong chart and on a number of occasions this has almost been very costly.

I know this is not really what the Watermark was designed for but I find it a very useful but risky tool and one that I am sure others would find benefit in being able to keep notes specific to each pair n their charts. You can use the Label tool for this but it does not always stay visible on the chart when changing time frames or zooming like the watermark does.
Silverthorn

Postby Apprentice » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:47 am

This task is not appropriate for this indicator.
The best way to achieve this, is to write an entirely new indicator.
Which will have its own repository, and will be able to recognize chart Time Frame and currency pair.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Next

Return to Custom Indicators