How to Download and Install a Custom Signal/Strategy

Strategies are published here.

Moderator: admin

How to Download and Install a Custom Signal/Strategy

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:41 pm

The latest version of this article can be found in FXCodebase Wiki:
http://fxcodebase.com/wiki/index.php/Cu ... arketscope

Download the signal/strategy

The signal/strategy is usually attached to the post as a file.

Right click on the name of the attached file and then choose "Save Target As" in the context menu.

howto1.PNG

The "Save As" dialog box appears. Choose any folder, for example c:\ to save the
signal/strategy. The name of the signal or strategy file (EMA_LAG_CCI.lua in our example) will appear in the dialog box automatically.

howto2.PNG

Click the "Save" button. That's all, the signal/strategy is saved.

Note: Sometimes, the signal/strategy requires the custom indicators. In that case these indicators are listed in the post. Please do not forget to download and install the custom indicators!

Install the signal/strategy

Open Marketscope application. Choose the "Alerts and Trading Automation" menu and then choose "Import Extension":

howto3.PNG

The "Open" dialog box appears. Choose the file you have saved on the previous step (see "Download the signal/strategy"), and then click "Open":

howto4.PNG

The "Install Extension" dialog box appears. Click "Install":

howto5.PNG

The "Extension has been installed message box" appears. No errors must be shown. Click "OK" to exit. The strategy is added and you can start using it.

howto6.PNG
howto6.PNG (4.97 KiB) Viewed 20705 times

That's all, the new signal/strategy is in the list which appears when you choose "New Strategy or Alert".

howto7.PNG
howto7.PNG (238.4 KiB) Viewed 20705 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed May 22, 2013 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: The instruction has been updated for May 2013 Marketscope version
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Re: How to Download and Install a Custom Signal/Strategy

Postby amgalanbaatar » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:45 am

Hello,
I am a beginner in forex. I wanted to download your custom indicators and strategies,but somehow I couldn't. I tried the way you showed like "right click and then save target as". When right click on my mouse, there is no command "save target as or save" in the dropdown. It says like copy link, it is all about links not the saving files. Please, advise me on this.
One more question, On metatrader 4, I could download some interesting scripts like stoploss, close order, take all profit, dayborder, reverse order and trailing stop. Is there any scripts like this for marketscope? The reason why I am asking is that I prefer marketscope platform and want to get used to it and also to learn it completely. Please also advise on this. If you have little bit time, I would like to know where to start. For example, indicators, scripts, strategies,analysis and EA. I really need a teacher or somebody who has experience. I know you are busy. Thank you for your time
amgalanbaatar

Postby Apprentice » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:12 am

1. You do not need "save target as"
Simply click on Link.
Operating system will save the file in the default download folder.

2.On marketskope platform we do not have scripts.
But we have, or we can write, Strategies that can perform all of the above

3. Probably the best way to learn the basics of Lua scripting language.
Then the basics of SDK development package.

Unfortunately there is a video lecture on the subject.

Contacted me on my private mail, maybe I can help you start.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby Nikolay.Gekht » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:14 pm

amgalanbaatar wrote:I really need a teacher or somebody who has experience. I know you are busy.

We can't promising "teaching", but:

1) Lua is in top 10 development popular languages and is used in many real-time systems, especially in games (for example a lot of World of Warcraft logic is written in lua), so there is a lot of sources on how to write in Lua. However, you are always welcome with any questions on our development forum.
viewforum.php?f=28

If you have problems just with Lua - ask anyway. It would help us to prepare additional articles, now about Lua itself. At least I really need this information. I'm developing for the last 20 year and I just cannot imagine which problem can appear when learning any programming language. My studying on "how to programm" was to long ago, I just don't remember the typical mistakes and problem. So, your question will help me understand what could be unclear and concentrate on certain problems in understanding Lua rather than writing an new "manual" for Lua.

2) There is a number of articles and we do all our best to increase that number on our development forum (see "recommended reading").
Nikolay.Gekht
FXCodeBase: Site Admin

Postby 7510109079 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45 pm

I have back tested a strategy and would like to use it for automated trading. How do i do this?

I note that whilst using the back test, the "Account to Trade on" is TESTACC_ID.

Then when I go to 'Manage Strategies' pull down menu and add the strategy I want to trade on and look under its 'properties' my live acct no. is listed. However when the strategy is started, no auto entries occur and no alerts come up or are plotted on the chart.

what am i missing here??

thx
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Postby sunshine » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:02 am

Please check the "Allow Trading" parameter in the strategy properties. Usually, it is set to No by default, so the strategy don't trade. To enable autotrading, you should set the parameter to Yes.
Please also tell me which strategy you use?
sunshine

Postby khoainha » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 am

I can't install indicators and strategies.
I can download its to my computer (click the "Save" button, the signal/strategy is saved). But when i Install the signal/strategy , in "Results of loading" item Result : Error, Comment : Error in the file C:\ichimoku RSI strategy.lua : The second parameter must be a number.
Who can help me?
khoainha

Postby sunshine » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:46 am

Ichimoku RSI Strategy can be used only in the new version of FX Trading Station /Marketscope. You can download it from FXCM site.
sunshine

Problems with the new upgrade

Postby 7510109079 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:38 pm

quite a few of the downloaded strategies do not fully function since the upgrade was performed this Sunday. For example the CCI strategy will initiate only one buy at the very start of the backtest and never closes out this trade so others can be opened.
Also strangely in the log there appears to be a task to do with the GBP/EUR pair which i do not even work with or have open in any chart or specified in any backtest params

Anyone else having similar probs?
FXCodeBase: Graduate

Re: Problems with the new upgrade

Postby sunshine » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:06 am

7510109079 wrote:quite a few of the downloaded strategies do not fully function since the upgrade was performed this Sunday. For example the CCI strategy will initiate only one buy at the very start of the backtest and never closes out this trade so others can be opened.

I've backtested the CCI strategy and I have no such an issue. I have a lot of trades created.
In statistics, number of trades closed: 28 (for the last month, TF = H1). Please tell me which parameters you used.
7510109079 wrote:Also strangely in the log there appears to be a task to do with the GBP/EUR pair which i do not even work with or have open in any chart or specified in any backtest params

The reason this pair is displayed in the log is that it is required for cross calculations.
For example, you backtest on EUR/USD but your account is in GBP. In this case Backtester needs data for GBP/USD and will load it automatically.
sunshine

Next

Return to Custom Strategies