Displaying an indicator in a strategy

Section for discussions related to indicators, use of indicators, and building of trading stategies using indicators.

Moderator: admin

Displaying an indicator in a strategy

Postby blue5519 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 am

Cheers All

I've got a strategy that I've written that uses a standard indicator by calling the "core.indicators:create" command. Everything works well but I can not figure out how to get the strategy to display the indicator results in MarketScope without having to manually add the indicator to MarketScope. Can a strategy directly display an indicator so that I can see exactly what the strategy is getting from the indicator?

Thanks

JK
blue5519

Re: Displaying an indicator in a strategy

Postby sunshine » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:43 am

Hi,

blue5519 wrote:Can a strategy directly display an indicator so that I can see exactly what the strategy is getting from the indicator?

A strategy itself cannot draw anything on a chart.
sunshine

Postby protasithugz » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:02 pm

Hello,

After thoroughly surfing the discussions, this thread comes closest to addressing what I'm facing. Not so much displaying but successfully creating a custom indicator in a custom strategy.

I have been trying a few things with LUA with regards to Indicators and Strategies. At least my indicators display line values that I want to manipulate and monitor.

I have encountered a major issue that arises whenever I need to CREATE a custom indicator in a custom strategy. Everytime I attempt this I get a null table as a result of indicators:create. BUT, if I reference a standard indicator in my custom strategy, a table is formed. I have tried different approaches with zero parameter indicators to multiple parameter indicators and have achieved ZERO success rate in creating my custom indicator in my strategy.

I suspected it was a problem with how I identify/name my indicators but even if I give it one leter or 8 letter name, still zero result.
I suspected it is a windows file permissions issue, even after changing permisions, still zero result. Tried saving the indicators in the indicators or standard indicators or custom indicators...still zero result.

I would like to know if there is a special way of saving custom indicators or a secial way if identifying them to enable the strategy create the indicators. Help...

Also I'm using the Indicore IDE and would like suggestions on a better debugger since I'm unable to trace on a step by step basis my lines of code as easily as would be the case if using VBA or something like that...Help...A better debugger or a way to output results of computational lines during dry run cycles

TIA
protasithugz

Postby Apprentice » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:58 pm

My advice is to install the SDK.
http://fxcodebase.com/documentation.php
Contains Editor, Debugger, Extensive Help with examples.

If you'd be interested, I hold private sessions.
Prerequisite intermediate coding knowledge.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Return to Discussions