Noob - First MA Strategy and a lot of questions

Section for discussions related to indicators, use of indicators, and building of trading stategies using indicators.

Moderator: admin

Noob - First MA Strategy and a lot of questions

Postby Spinshot2k » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:36 pm

Hey guys!

Im new to lua and to programming strategies and i think there are a lot of things i still dont get in my head.

I started over to build a simple MA Robot. After some freakouts it works in the backtest. But in connection with programming this simple thing i have some questions:

- My biggest problem in this simple first project was to find out that I need a specific parameter (in this case: variable.DATA) I did not find ".DATA" in the docs. Is there a specific list or is it a classic lua thing? I mean, if I dont know that something exists, how can I acknowledge, that I have to use it :D ?

- I read all the stuff that is suggested on the SDK page. Is it usefull to go through several lua only tutorials to learn what to do?

- Do I understand it correctly? Is lua in general the same as in connection with fxcm or are there differences?

Thx and sorry for maybe stupid questions
Spinshot2k

Re: Noob - First MA Strategy and a lot of questions

Postby Spinshot2k » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm

Ok, i think i figured out how to move forward.

If someone has the same problem, here is what ive done do start smooth:
There are 3 videos on youtube from fxcm in connection with programming your first strategies. They are a really great way to start because you get an easy understandable explanation how the structure of the code should look like and why and what it does.

After that i read a lua programming book to get the basics of lua. Maybe for the guys that are coding since 20 years lua is pretty simply but for beginners, some parts can be very confusing.

After that i started to build my first simple strategy again. Just a simple "Buy when price is over MA" Strategy. Now it was really easy to master that task.

If you are a beginner and confused like i was 2 weeks ago, keep going. After understanding how this stuff works, the progress bar is moving pretty fast :)
Spinshot2k

Return to Discussions