Period Extreme Strategy

Strategies are published here.

Moderator: admin

Re: Period Extreme Strategy

Postby Hug Coder » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 am

The strategy does seem to perform nicely on H4 over time. But I think it sometimes triggers to often, but I guess you can change periods for that. I also wish it was some alternative to confirm the trend with another indicator.

One thing I don't understand is this:
Code: Select all
strategy.parameters:addBoolean("Backtrack", "Use completed candles only", "", true);
if Backtrack then
 period = period-1;
end

How does that make it act on non-completed candles? All I see is that it looks at previous period/bar, if you set Backtrack = true. It will still wait for the close be for it acts anyway, if it's false.
Hug Coder

Postby ronald3rg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:33 am

Apprentice,

my apologies you're right it just had been a while since i downloaded your explanation makes perfect sense. After reading it makes sense and i can see what affects it most which is why and confirmation indicator would do this strategy great. Actually i have a couple of the strategies on this site that work wonderfully but at the end the spread its the strategies worst enemy. By far this one seems to be the most steady for me or for what I'm looking for. I run the optimizer for days on end till I find the right combinations that produce next to no bad trades for the longest period of time I can back-test but the trades a very few and far apart. Which is not a Bad thing if you have a ton of capital and can setup a couple of accounts trading large lots.

So far this strategy produces a lot of winners with few losses so I'm trying to battle certain setups in the candle pattern that work against the strategy. Another great feature for future development would be adding stage stop to the strategy. I usually turn the strategy on by itself but for some reason it doesn't always activate.

In any case i really appreciate what you do. I'm trying to learn scripting so i can someday create a strategy of my own. I can read the code understand I have been unable to start from scratch.
Right place at the right time

3Rg
ronald3rg

Postby ronald3rg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:42 pm

Apprentice,

Ok I went over to the strategy to make sure i understood it correctly and that it was functioning as it should but i think i found some problems maybe you can explain take a look at image below. Looks like false triggers. Let me know if I'm posting to much lol. an SAR confirmation might be better than ADX i previously requested :D
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Triggers
Right place at the right time

3Rg
ronald3rg

Postby Apprentice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 am

Your request was added to our database.
Apprentice
FXCodeBase: Confirmed User

Postby TheEdge » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:12 pm

I am also getting the "Index out of Range message, just downloaded and installed. Any idea what might be the problem?
TheEdge

Postby Apprentice » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:48 am

What are the parameters you are using.
Apprentice

Postby TheEdge » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:31 am

Hey Apprentice,

If I set the period to any number higher than 2 in Back testing or Optimization I receive the error. All other settings are default.

If running the strategy on live data it appears to be working normally.
TheEdge

Postby irbica » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Hello Aprentice, can you make this a single previous candle lookback only for HL reference to Buy or Sell? Also would like to have an option to Liquidate at end of current candle if I am not Limited or Stopped. Thanks.
irbica

Postby Apprentice » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:36 am

Your request is added to the development list.
Apprentice

Postby irbica » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 am

Hi Apprentice, I notice that the strategy does not open a position when the breakout actually happen. Is there any reason? I would like for the position to open when the previous candle low or high are broke in the current candle. My setting is for 1 candle, valid interval is 3 seconds and I am using 15m TF. Also I set NO to use completed candles only. Thanks.
irbica

PreviousNext

Return to Custom Strategies